ASI Financial Services, a leading Black Owned Intermediary in the Financial Services Industry, has a position available for a LEGAL MANAGER. The Legal Manager will form part of the Risk, Legal and Compliance Business Unit forming part of the greater Business Enablement Department and will report to the Executive: Legal and Compliance.
In this role you will be a part of a team committed to being a centre of excellence by providing dedicated risk, legal and compliance support for all the ASI businesses. You will be expected to think strategically and contribute towards the strategic development of the team.
ROLES AND DUTIES:
- Drafting of all legal documentation such as purchase and sale agreements, shareholders
agreements, Board Resolutions, Service Level Agreements etc.;
- Vetting of all legal agreements received from third parties, providers and clients;
- Support the sales team with negotiation of tenders and long-term service contracts; and
- Assist with a range of other contracts and legal issues that may arise across the business including data protection, employment etc.
- Advise and assist on a range of business transactions such as Mergers and Acquisitions, and structuring;
- Support in addressing, resolving and managing legal issues;
- Identify key legal risks, research issues and formulate strategies to mitigate exposures;
- prepare legal opinions as may be necessary;
- Monitor, research and understand relevant legislative changes and case law affecting Mainstream’s business and the Financial Services Sector including regulatory and Labour Law matters; and
- Provide ongoing and ad hoc legal advice in a variety of legal topics (e.g., Company law, labour law, litigation, etc).
- Receive / issue, address, manage and appropriately defend (as necessary) contractual claims and disputes with third parties (e.g., service providers, advisors, contractors, clients etc); and
- Support business in initiating or defending legal action against the business, including reviewing / managing progress of litigation and liaising with external legal and other advisors.
- As required, engage with both external and internal legal/advisory resources;
- Identify opportunities for new business and growth and communicate to management;
- Support to the Human Capital Department by vetting documentation, policies and processes to ensure it is in line with the Labour Laws of South Africa;
- Vetting of general Company policies;
- Legal Administration;
- Legal risk management;
- Company secretarial duties such as preparing Board Packs, arranging Board meetings and taking minutes of Board Meetings;
- Assist shareholders, Board members and the executive committee as necessary; and
- You will be required, in addition, as a member of the company’s legal team, to also obtain exposure to other parts of the greater company group such as Insurance, Employee Benefits, Investments and Regulatory Compliance.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- B-degree in Law or LLB;
- Admitted attorney or Advocate;
- 5 years or more post articles experience in a reputable law firm or at the Bar with a general corporate commercial background and with at least 1 years’ experience as an in-house legal counsel, advisor or manager in a financial services business or other corporate;
- Excellent commercial drafting and negotiation skills and experience;
- Good commercial acumen and Business law;
- Good Labour Law knowledge;
- Company Secretarial knowledge;
- Computer literacy;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently;
- Detail orientated and attention to detail;
- Good people skills and conflict resolution skills; and
- Ability to work under strict deadlines and under pressure.
- Willingness to work as part of a team.
|Job Category||Compliance, Gauteng Region|